Environmental Programs Environmental Programs
Residential Water Systems

The Crawford County General Health District is in charge of issuing permits for residential dwellings and some commercial buildings. A commercial entity must first contact EPA to determine that they are not under their jurisdiction. They can be contacted at their web site http://www.epa.state.oh.us/nwdo/.

  • Rules governing the installation and operation of private water systems (PWS) can be viewed at ODH’s web site PWSLawRules
  • Permits can be obtained through our office. .

Locating a contractor

Contractors must be registered with the Ohio Department of Health. A list of registered contractors can be viewed by going to this link PWS registration info. This is a pdf file so you must have adobe acrobat to view it. The contractor list is organized by county.

Finding information on a well

You can contact our office with any questions you might have concerning your water system. If you are looking for information on the depth of your well, the gallons per minute it produces, date it was drilled, etc. you can go to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources web page and search for the well log. The site can be found at http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/water/maptechs/wellogs/app/default.asp.

Continuous disinfection

If you are utilizing a pond or cistern you are required to have continuous disinfection per OAC 3701-28-15 (Continuous Disinfection Requirements).

Common forms of disinfection are chlorination and UV lights. The link above outlines the requirements for continuous disinfection. UV lights that are approved at this time are:



The freely available Adobe Acrobat Reader and Flash Player are required to view some pages and to view and print PDF files (forms)
1520 Isaac Beal Rd. - Bucyrus, OH 44820 - Phone: (419) 562-5871 - Fax: (419) 562-2048
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Home Contact Us Email